April 26 - 28 and May 3-5 2013 - Goose Pond Scout Reservation
Great Medicine, the National Youth Leadership Training Conference, is a two-weekend training for youth leaders developed by the Boy Scouts of America and
offered by the Northeastern Pennsylvania Council. The conference is an exciting, action-packed program designed to provide youth with 21st century leadership skills and experiences they can use in their home troops, crews and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others. Scoutmasters and Crew Advisers are encouraged to provide opportunities within their units for application and use of the leadership training learned at the conference so that the Scout applies the skills he or she learns during the conference. Great Medicine is conducted by a staff of top-level, Scouts and Leaders selected by the Council Training Committee. Due to course dynamics, full attendance at both weekends is required for course completion.
Great Medicine is not just a camping trip, but an intense, challenging, leadership experience.
WHAT ARE THE CONFERENCE OBJECTIVES?
1. To give participants the confidence and knowledge to run the troop or crew program.
2. To give participants a working knowledge of the concepts of what a leader must BE, what a leader must KNOW and what a leader must DO.
3. To deliver through teaching to participants, a clear focus on HOW TO.
4. To give participants the opportunity to share ideas and experiences with Scouts from other units.
5. To create an atmosphere where Scouts will experience “Scouting at its best.”
6. To have fun.
TO BE ELIGIBLE A SCOUT MUST:
• Be a First Class Boy Scout or a registered Venturer before the start of the course.
• Be at least age 14, but not yet 18, by the start of the course and have at least begun the 8th grade.
• Currently hold a leadership position in the troop or crew and have the potential and desire to serve a top leader in your unit (Senior Patrol Leader or Crew President).
• Be recommended by his Scoutmaster or Crew Advisor to attend the course.
• Should have completed the Unit level Introduction to Leadership Skills Course and/or have attended Great Expectations Leadership Training Workshop.
WHAT IS THE COST?
The fee for the conference is $240 (this covers both weekends). However, if the course fee is paid in full by April 6th registrants will receive a $20 discount reducing the total course fee to $220. This fee includes all food, patrol equipment, media supplies, recognition, and a host of other training materials. Many units provide full or partial scholarships for Great Medicine.
HOW DOES A SCOUT APPLY?
Scoutmasters and Crew Advisors should begin discussions with the Troop or Crew adult leaders and committee and then with eligible Scouts and Venturers as soon as possible in order to make plans to attend. Scouts or Venturers may apply individually with the recommendation of their Scoutmaster/Advisor. The number of participants at Great Medicine is limited to only 48 scouts, so early registration is suggested. Use the form linked below to register.
For more Information contact Dave Srebro at the Scout Service and Training Center.
DOWLOAD the course registration packet HERE