Following are a variety of tips that will help units have a successful popcorn sale:
Unit Leadership Tips
- Units that put commissions into individual accounts sell more popcorn.
- Pick a Popcorn Kernel (Unit Popcorn Chairman) and have him/her attend training.
Unit Popcorn Kernal Tips
- Set your budget to establish a unit goal.
- Educate parents about the direct benefits to them. Explain why this is such an important fundraiser, state goal, uses, and explain Scholarship Program. Show how this fundraiser gives more back to their child than other fundraisers.
- Have a unit “Blitz Day” where every youth in the unit goes out selling and whoever sells the most that day gets a prize.
- Have a big unit kickoff for the youth to get all materials and to GET EVERYONE EXCITED! All youth should receive the Family Mailer and Take Order form. Review all prizes available to the youth.
- Set per Scout sales goals.
- Establish an additional unit prize program in addition to the council prize program.
- Do corporate sales using employers and companies of parents and leaders within your unit.
- Popcorn makes great gifts for teachers, co-workers, neighbors, babysitters and relatives.
- Use neighbors and set-up mystery houses throughout the neighborhood.
- Offer den and patrol incentives.
- Set up a Show and Sell at your unit’s Chartered Partner.
- Set up a Show and Sell after weekly church service. • Role play with your Scouts during a den or troop meeting on how to sell popcorn.
- Establish a personal goal.
- Promote a smaller donation for Military Donations.
- Any donations collected during popcorn sales needs to go toward military donations!!
- Wear your class A uniform to sell door to door.
- Use phrases like this to guarantee your sale: “Would you like to support the Boy Scouts?” “Would you like to help me get to camp?”
- Always remember to use polite manners when receiving or not receiving a sale!
NO Matter what tip you are using from the above list…..
ALWAYS MAKE IT FUN AND EXCITING!!